The Pediatric Healthcare Research Group is a multidisciplinary group representing researchers from the fields of pediatrics, psychology and nursing sciences. The group’s work focuses on care processes on the interpersonal and organizational levels (micro- and meso-level) in a variety of settings including children with chronic complex conditions, vulnerable populations and pediatric palliative care,.
A particular strength of our group is the combination of a vast experience of clinical care for patients and families with methodological expertise in qualitative and quantitative methods. Collaborations with external partners such as pediatricians in the ambulatory setting and research institutions ensure access to care processes and methodological rigor. We are aiming to include patients and caregivers in research projects as partners to ensure high levels of patient-centeredness in the research process.
Major projects of the group:
- Development of an IT-supported Case Management for Children with Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA-C+). A tailored Case-Management (CM) will be developed on the basis of a thorough descriptive study investigating the coordination activities and needs of caregivers and the respective indirect costs. An exploratory, comparative evaluation will be conducted to investigate the effect of the CM on the quality of care integrations and health-related quality of life of caregivers.
- Improving the collaboration between interprofessional clinicians and medical interpreters. We evaluate interprofessional educational intervention including an enactment (triad physician, interpreter, patient) using a pre-post survey among participants.
- Referral strategies for specialized pediatric palliative care services in southwest Germany.
A complete list of publications is available here: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Thorsten_Langer2/research
- Experiences of caregivers of children with spinal muscular atrophy participating in the expanded access program for nusinersen: a longitudinal qualitative study. Kiefer, P, Kirschner, J, Pechmann, A, & Langer, T. Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases, 2020, 15:194.
- Patient-Teachers in Patient Safety: A mixed methods feasibility assessment of an interprofessional educational intervention bringing patients and clinicans together to discuss medical error. Langer, T, […] Bell, SK. BMJ Quality & Safety, 2016, 25(8): 615-25.
- How are Pediatric Hospitals in North-Rhine Westfalia Prepared to Overcome Language Barriers? A Pilot Study Exploring the Structural Quality of Inpatient Care. Langer T, … Geraedts M. Gesundheitswesen, 2017, 79(7): 535-541.
- Interprofessional Perceptions and Emotional Impact of Multidrug-Resistant Organisms: A Qualitative Study. Bushuven, S […] Langer, T. Am J Infect Control, 2019, Mar 5. pii: S0196-6553(19)30060-4.